Sunday, October 28, 2012

letting go

WOW, what an emotionally and physically exhilarating and exhausting day! i had a rough start this morning, but God totally turned my day around and i ended on the best note possible! has anyone ever told you to just "let it go"? of course they have! unfortunately, as we all know, it's a lot easier said than done! but the peace i have come to know, just realizing that God has my back 24/7, takes so much weight off my shoulders. it's almost like i feel as though i've run a 5k everyday through prayer, just talking to him and seeing answered prayers. what an awesome God to have that WANTS you to lay your burdens on him?! even psychiatrists just want to encourage you to fix your own problems... God already HAS the answers and He will surely give them to you if you just ASK and listen with your whole heart! Psalm 66:10-12 speaks to me. He tests us, he wants us to remain faithful even through the hardest times, and i totally faced that this morning. but then? then he brings us to a place of joy, freedom, peace, abundance, overflow, love. He is love.

so this afternoon after church, it was like the Lord was just speaking straight to me. taking the morning's emotional "let it go" and turned it into a physical "let it go". my room was a mess (i'm not afraid to admit that... i have been busy as a bee lately, which leaves little room for laundry! let's be real here), and all the clutter of things that i don't need were starting to get to me (see previous post about excess STUFF). i knew right then and there i had to go through everything i own personally and get rid of the things i don't use. now, i don't have much stuff in the first place... that's just a minimalist's mentality, however i still managed to donate multiple bags of things to the lovelady center and threw away a bunch of junk too. it felt awesome! i feel like that is what i needed to do to just continue to nudge at the things that i'm called to do. and if you haven't noticed, those things don't involve places that you can have very many belongings. you've got to hold yourself accountable my friends.

as for my evening, well, that was the best part of the day! i went to dream team 401, and went to dream center training. it wasn't very training-like, but more of an explanation of your options and an opportunity to talk to the leaders and get contact info on how to get everything set up. everything went great, and the minute i walked in the room, i already KNEW i had chosen the right path. meaning i have been praying daily about this for the past month, so... like i said, God had my back. :)

i got set up with the mentoring group, which is at one of the inner city schools in birmingham. i will be having lunch with a 4th grade girl every other week and i am honestly overjoyed! these children are not fortunate enough to have many, if any, positive role models in their life. i can't wait to hear details of her day and let me tell you, i don't know her yet, but i am already praying for my match, and i know my God has great things in store for both of us, and my babygirl Kinley. we can take our student to church, motion nights, movies, and really anything else we'd like to. this is honestly like a dream come true for me, and this has been in my heart for a long time. i have no doubt that this little girl will teach me just as much, if not more, than i can teach her.

another REALLY exciting thing in the works is that we (another woman i met and her niece... and probably some others i'm already recruiting) are going to start a dance class at the dream center! these kids sometimes can't afford luxuries (yes, they really are) like sports and so what better way to show them God's love than to just hang out, encourage with God's word and relationships and fun?! i think my journey may have been less of a beaten path  if i had someone like that who never gave up on me and just wanted to show me how much God loves you and that you really can do all things through Him, including dance! i truly feel that this is so much larger than Julie's idea or my encouragement and support. at dinner after 401, i got to share my excitement with my friends, and i'm so stoked that they were just about as happy for me as i was! so thankful for encouragement and accountability.

before i have to tape my eyes open, i leave you with this. let it go. give it away. give it to God. he already knows what you're thinking anyway.

Psalm 66:16-20
Come and hear, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me. I cried out to him with my mouth; His praise was on my tongue. If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened; but God has surely listened and has heard my prayer. Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld His love from me!

now, what does that mean you ask? here's what i see:
pray what you mean and mean what you pray.

No comments:

My photo
meet me somewhere between reality and all we ever dreamed, United States