Wednesday, November 28, 2012

walking contradiction

you know, when you go public with any sort of belief or opinion, you are undoubtedly going to get some negativity. it especially happens when people don't know everything, but take one little piece and act like it's the whole thing.

i guess the reason i bring this up is because i REALLY don't like a lot of things. i love to get rid of stuff. it just feels good to me. however, the things that i DO have, are things that i really wanted, for which i was willing to spend my hard earned money. i also deliberate a lot before any purchase, big or small. i just don't like junk overflow.
i feel like a lot people buy things just for the sake of buying them. i am not going to say that i have never done this... i am in serious effort mode working on my problem with instant gratification and retail therapy. i've learned to like buying things i already need and not just going to the store to find something to buy. i guess this all started stirring in me when my sister said to me last week, something to the effect of, "I thought you were all minimalist and not wanting to buy stuff and now you have all this new high end makeup". it threw me for a loop honestly. but my response to that is simple. no matter what it is that you like, as long as you enjoy it, can afford it, and actively use it, i feel you should buy it. for me, those things are computers, iphones, cameras and makeup/hair things. i am very interested in the 333 challenge (feel free to google it) actually, but clothes and makeup are just one thing that i really enjoy, so i am thinking about a different number, but i think it's good to have goals. and i know you can find me in leggings and a tshirt or sweatshirt most often, but when i have the time i really like to use those things that i've purchased. i have consistently been downsizing my clothing. but i will not NOT buy makeup, and whichever makeup i like. just like if someone really liked coins or arrowheads or had a stamp collection, you wouldn't necessarily expect them to get rid of those just because they're downsizing. my point is, the lifestyle i want is not about the fact that you SHOULD only have ____ things, it's having the things that YOU find important and not being excessive. :) call me a walking contradiction, but i will say that at least i'm walking happily!

*He who tills his land will have plenty of bread, but he who pursues worthless things lack sense. Prov 12:11*

No comments:

My photo
meet me somewhere between reality and all we ever dreamed, United States