Tuesday, September 24, 2013

lost in paris


Over the next year, I am planning a trip to Paris. I have not yet decided if I will take this trip solo or with a companion. Though I know which way I’m leaning, there are benefits to each. I plan to have somewhat of an itinerary, however I don’t want to be too weighed down, because I do not want to feel overwhelmed if something does not go according to that original “plan”. I am twenty five and finally starting to get to know myself, starting to figure out who I really am. And the person that I am does not like to feel that something hasn’t gone my way. Best route? Don't overplan. Don't overstress. Simply let it be and it will be beautiful.
 

As a matter of fact, I have just decided I will travel alone. This seems like a way to spend time unattached to the things going on in the states and do whatever I want to do. I think I was seventeen the last time that was an option. Between my daughter and family and work and even friends, that's a whole lot of stress on a regular basis. An entire week to do whatever I please, whenever I please, sounds like a dream. Oh wait, it is! There of the obvious "touron" (as my mother would say) things to do of course, and then there are the things that I’ve scoured the world wide web to find. Thrift shops and restaurants and streets to visit at dusk, all coming from people who have strayed from the norm. Those are my kind of people. The first and last day I intent to simply roam, rent a bike and see what there is to see. The list below is my growing list of places to go and things to do during my week stay.

Stay: Hotel Fontaines du Luxembourg (click to check it out on TripAdvisor)
Things to do:
Notre Dame

Eiffle Tower
Arc de Triomphe
Night boat tour of the Seine
Musee Louvre
Shakespeare & Co Bookstore
Musee Picasso
Musee Rodin
Sacre Coure
Grocer: Grande Epicerie (Below Bon Marche dept store)
Cookware: E Dehillerin (apparently a lot chefs buy their copperware here. and they ship!)
Flea market: Marche aus Puces St. Ouen de Clignan Court (open S/S/M)
Opera or ballet: Opera Garnier or Theatre du Chatelet
Chocolate to bring home: Pierre Herme
Rue St. Andre-des-Arts (sixth at dusk)
Bohemian Paris: Moulin Rouge
Desserts and Tea: Laudree
Thrift store: Free P Star
Rooftop Bar: Restaurant at Galeries Layfayette
Wine tasting: Salon des vens de Vignerons
Cheese, Wine and Baguette next door: Fromagerie d’Auteuil 

If you have any must-dos for Paris, or maybe even a day trip from the city, please enlighten me!


No comments:

My photo
meet me somewhere between reality and all we ever dreamed, United States